IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP SOME FORM OF PRIVACY...

We would love you to add our blog as a link on yours, but please just use our first names. Thanks!!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Break

Last weekend our ward had a Relief Society Retreat up at Heber Valley girls camp. We had a BLAST! It was so much fun. On Friday night they planned dinner and a fireside/skit about the parable of the ten virgins. It was very good. The spirit was very strong there. Afterward we had several of the ladies gather in our cabin to play games. So much fun. I haven't laughed so hard in a very long time. Then on Saturday morning after Breakfast we did a Challenge Course. The first game/task on the course was a zip line. Now if you know me then you know that first I HATE heights; and second I don't like things like zip lines. But I decided that it was called a Challenge Course for a reason. This particular part of it required you to climb up a 30 foot telephone pole, then walk across a wire holding on to ropes over to another telephone pole where they would then hook you to the zip line and you would go down. So they got me strapped into the harness, and I began climbing. Shortly after beginning (very shortly; like two steps) I started hyperventilating. I made it to the top. Then grabbed the first rope and started across the wire (still hyperventilating). I got to the other side, and literally bear hugged the other pole while the Sister Missionary (church owned camp) unhooked me from the guy below and began hooking me to the zip line. At this point I just really wanted to be on the ground again. But I really didn't want to go down the zip line. Well I ended up sitting up there for about 5 minutes bawling (yeah I'm a baby, you gotta problem with that). After everyone on the ground reassuring me for 5 minutes and the Bishop coming over to assure me that they would indeed catch me at the bottom I slowly scooted off the platform. I was extremely happy when I was back on the ground again regardless of the fact that I was uncontrollably shaking. Once I regained my composure they moved us on to other parts of the course (all of which were on the ground). We got through the first and had just begun the second when I put my arm down at my side and felt something sharp as I saw something fly away. That's right I got stung. Now before I go on, I will explain that there has only been one other time I've been stung in my entire life, and that was in July (that's right this year). And the interesting part both times it was under my arm. Why I don't know. So I decided that it really wasn't my day and I was going to sit the rest of them out. After the Challenge Course we went back and ate lunch and packed up and headed home. Aside from the sting and the zip line, I had a pretty good time. And regardless of how I feel about the zip line I'm glad I can say that I did it.
The girls did pretty good too. Josh had to work that night so they ended up staying at a friends house. They were so excited! My friend called me right before I left to let me know that the girls were already in the jammies with their sleeping bags rolled out. At 5 PM. That's right 5 PM! Yeah I'd say they were excited. Not only that but Abi had a pretty memorable night too. I was told that she woke up around 3 AM and sat up. My friend asked her if she was ok and she said yes. Then a few minutes later she started screaming "Something bit me!" while holding her knee. They looked at her knee and couldn't see anything so they calmed her and put her back to bed. Well on Saturday morning she woke up and said "A Bee bit me last night." So they checked her bad and sure enough she had rolled over a bee and was stung; though not in her knee, it was on her upper thigh which is why they didn't see it in the middle of the night.
But all-in-all it was a great time had the girls and especially myself! And if I find my camera I'll post pictures later.

No comments: