I've always loved old things. And I've always wanted some type of trunk that I could use as a coffee table and store all of my blankets in. So imagine my excitement when I found a combination of those two things one day at the DI. Now, there are many times I go to the DI and walk out empty handed. I half expected that on the day I found my trunk. I don't even remember what we went there for to begin with. All I remember is walking in to the room they have all of the outdoor stuff, and exercise equipment in and seeing the trunk sitting there on the floor. I remember stopping to look at and telling Josh "That's the type of trunk I want." And the price tag said $25! Anyway, I pushed it to the back of my mind and we kept walking.
Funny thing happened on this trip too. At one point I turned around to look at Abi who was walking just behind me and she had something in her hand. It was money. I looked at it and saw that it was a 50 dollar bill! Now how does a 4 year old get a $50 you ask? I thought the same thing so I asked "Where did you get that?" to which she replied "I found it on the floor." WHAT! It so happened that a lady sitting near by heard the conversation and kindly pointed me in the direction of who she thought the owner was. Now how would you go about asking some random person if the cash your daughter found on the floor is theirs. Anyone would give a excited "YES it's mine" don't you think? So I approached the girl and held the money in my hand a little crumpled so you couldn't tell it was a $5o. And politely asked "Did you loose some money?" She started feeling around her pockets as I explained the story. And then she turned and asked "is that a $50?" So I said yes and she said it was hers. How crazy is that?
So now back to my story of the trunk. We continued walking around the DI looking for any other "treasures" we might be able to take home and I just couldn't get that trunk out of my head. So when we were finished I told Josh I wanted to go back and look at it one more time. So we went back to look at it. We discussed it and opened the lid finding that one of the hinges was broken. Josh then told me that he wasn't sure it was worth it to get it and try to refinish it. I told him I would still like to try and "couldn't his dad help with it?" So he finally went to get a worker to write up a slip so we could pay for it and Josh could come back with the truck later. I was so excited.
We figured out later that it's an old artillery trunk, with worn "army green paint" and everything.
So that's what we've been working on. It is currently in his dad's garage up in Bountiful and we make 1-2 trips a week up there to sand it down and put polyurethane on it. I can't wait til it's finished and I can get it home and find the perfect spot for it!





5 comments:
Ooh! What a great find!!! Please post a pic of the final outcome! I can't wait to see it!!
That was from me, Angee.
That is a cool trunk! I'm sure it will look great and you'll love it when it's done. Nice job!
Hip Hop Hooray for you! Happy sanding!
Cool Shanna! I'm sure it will turn out beautifully.
Post a Comment