IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP SOME FORM OF PRIVACY...

We would love you to add our blog as a link on yours, but please just use our first names. Thanks!!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Child Labor?

I've been thinking lately about how to go about chores for my kids. I figure it's about time I start giving them chores. The question is what chores? See I'm a little OCD. Most cleaning of the house gets done by me. I have a really hard time letting others do it due to the fact that it may not be to my satisfaction later. Things have to be PERFECT (although anyone who's been to my house lately will be able to tell you that it is far from perfect right now.) But I've decided there is NO WAY I can keep up with everything around the house anymore and it's about time my children learn how to do a few chores. Not only that but I'm thinking about putting the neighbor kids to work. Is that bad? Now before you answer you must understand the situation, see I watch my friend/neighbor's kids weekdays from 7:30 am-4:30 pm. All girls I might add. It's not too bad most days. It gives my girls someone to play with and I can help a friend out in the mean time. However, due to the fact that 5 days a week I have anywhere from 2-6 girls running around my house at various times of the day I now have lots of little smudges, fingerprints, and spots all over my walls, floors, mirrors, etc. So why not have them help to keep it clean and nice?
I'm not talking about keeping them busy all day. That would be cruel! It's summer after all. I just want a few things that can keep them busy seeing as though summer is upon us and school is (or will soon be out). I figure one or two "chores" won't kill them and then they can play outside, at the park, or in the water, etc. all they want for the rest of the day.
So what I'm looking for is ideas. What types of things do you have your kids do? I've thought of things like sweeping the floors, wiping down some walls, vacuuming, and dusting. Just looking for a few quick and simple things for children ages 3, 5, and 8 to do. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Sara said...

I wish I had advice for you...I don't put Owen to work yet:)
But I do know from my own childhood, that getting to play or go outside, was always so much more rewarding after earning it through a little work.
I think the jobs you listed would be perfect for the girls.

Kate said...

I think the jobs you listed would be perfect too, and I would say- throw in a little incentive- like Sara- you can't go outside in the morning until the morning chores are done, My 4 year old nephew has to unload the dishwasher, he only puts away the things he can reach- mostly things in drawers, and he stacks everything else neatly on the counter for Mom to put away. Another thing that works along the incentive line is Money, I don't know if you give the Girls Allowences, but say if you give them $5 a month, you could say that the chore they do 5 days a week is worth up to 20 cents, if they do an absolutely perfect job they get 20, if they do an average job they get 10, if they don't do it at all they get nothing for that day, kids seem to understand money and if you help them for a while so that they know what a perfect job looks like you are prettly likely to get a prefect job(for a 5 year old) most days.

Jessica said...

I've been thinking about this too! I really like the list of age appropriate chores at http://www.new-life.net/age-specific-responsibilities/

Anonymous said...

Your ideas are great, in my opinion. Here are JJ's responsibilities, as a 4-year-old:

Make bed every morning

Practice violin

Set table at dinner

Clean up toys before bed

Vacuum stairs (once a week). He uses the hand-vac and LOVES it!! This one came to be because was interested in doing it.

We do an allowance, as some one mentioned before. $1 each week. 10 cents for tithing, 10 cents for mission/savings. If he doesn't complete his chores, no money. He loves to spend it and it gives him such satisfaction. And as of late, he's beginning to get the concept of "saving up" for a bigger toy.

I do plan on adding more responsibilities as he grows older. Kids can do so much more than we give them credit for.

AND, one more thought. The chores I've listed can be completed to his satisfaction, (which means no nagging from me, and nothing I have to re-do). But I did show him what I expect each and every time, which helps in things such as "table setting."

Let us know what you decide. I love hearing what others do!!

Debbie said...

My kids have their daily duties that they have to do before any free time. Things like get dressed, put clothes in hamper, make bed and brush teeth. We have a family rule that no one leaves the kitchen until ALL the dishes are done. (that includes our daddy) :) It goes so quick when they all pitch in. Our daddy usually puts the left overs away and sweeps the kitchen floor, the kids rinse off their dishes and put them in the dishwasher, I typically wash my pots and pans as I use them so those are usually done before we even eat. Some one starts the dishwasher and someone else is in charge of putting the center piece back on the table. If anyone leaves before we are done they get to do the dishes the next meal all by them selves. (it's only happened once) :) Each night before bed and at other times as needed I turn on kids music like Jack Johnson or something fun like that and we all pick up any "belongings" that are left out, books, toys, shoes ect. My kids also empty garbages, bring me their hampers on laundry day, help me put groceries away. I have a basket for each child that I put their clean folded socks and underware and other drawer items in. They each are responisible for emptying their baskets and bringing them back to me. Hope those help. I think it is so important to teach our kids the correct way to clean and that they are a part of the family and big enough to do their share. Sounds like you are right on track with your ideas.