

My Grandpa passed away today. He was 91 years old. I don't know what was worse, knowing for the past week and a half that he was dying and just waiting for that to happen or actually hearing from my mom today that he died. See the past week and a half at least I knew that he was here. I guess I was just trying to kid myself into thinking that it wasn't real as long as he was here.
After hearing that he was being sent home from the hospital to die my mom told us all that it might be a good idea to call him and tell him that we loved him since it may be the last chance to do this. I tried to put it off, it was one of those situations where you think if you don't do it then the worst won't happen. If I didn't call him then maybe he wouldn't go. Even though I knew in my mind and heart that whether I called or not when it was time he would go and if I didn't call him then I would be upset that I didn't. So I got my mom on the phone with me because I couldn't stop myself from crying. We spoke to my grandma first. And she helped me feel a little bit better. Then she went and woke my grandpa and put the phone to his ear. He didn't even sound like himself. He couldn't speak very well and he couldn't hear me at all. But I'm sure deep down he knew.
The things I remember most about my grandpa are that at bedtime when we were visiting them or vice versa we would get in bed and then from down the hall we would hear through his southern drawl "Fee Fi Fo Fum, I smell the blood of an englishman. Be live or be dead, grind his bones and make my bread." The minute he started with it there we would be shrieking in our beds cause we knew by the time he got to the end he would be standing over us tickling us. And everytime we left him or he left us he would say "Ya'll come back and see us now ya hear".
Abi was so sweet about the whole thing. She's so young and innocent. She asked me what was wrong and I told her that my grandpa had died. She said "it's ok mommy you can say hi to my grandpa." And then while I was driving to my mom's house she turned to Hannah and said "We're gonna take mommy's grandpa to your doctor and he's gonna make him all better." Oh to be so young and innocent again.
I'm so grateful for the Plan of Salvation making it possible for me to see my grandpa again. I know that he is in a better place free from pain and suffering, preparing for the day when he can see us all again especially my grandma. It's hard enough to know that it will be a while for me before I can see him again, I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't have that to hold on to.
We will miss you grandpa. We love you so much!
5 comments:
I am so sorry. Having a loved one pass is never easy. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa! Love you!
I'm sorry, it's so tough having a grandparent pass away. If you need anything, let me know.
Shanna, I am so sad for you. It is never easy losing someone so close. I wish there were words, but you explained what we believe so well. I'm so thankful that families can be together forever.
Hey Shanna,
Sorry to hear about your grandpa passing away. A loss of a loved one is never easy.
I loved your story of bedtime Fee Fi fo Fum... That touched my heart to hear of his love for you, and to scare you and tickle you. That is awesome.
You were blessed to have gotten to know your grandfather and to have had him in your life with memories to tell of his life and love for you.
I would have loved to have had a relationship or interaction with my grandfathers in that way when I was a child.
I unfortunately didn't get to meet my mothers father. He passed away when my mom was 9years old.
My fathers father, I didn't meet him until I was 15 years old. He died a few years ago.
My kids don't have grandfathers either. Lynn's father and mine both passed away the same year 1993. I feel sad for my kids to never get to know of a grandfathers love for them.
You were blessed! Don't forget it.
Jeri Zaugg
Post a Comment