IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP SOME FORM OF PRIVACY...

We would love you to add our blog as a link on yours, but please just use our first names. Thanks!!

Friday, February 8, 2008

Book Addiction

Ok so who would have thought that I would have found another series of books that I'm as obsessed over as I was with Harry Potter. Not me. Harry Potter was a really great series of books. Boy did I love them. I eagerly anticipated the release of the next book and when it finally came I had it read usually in 2 days.
Well I have found a new book addiction. Like Harry Potter I didn't start reading them until later. I didn't really know much about Harry Potter until book 4 had already been released and a co-worker told me I just had to read them. Well I'm coming in to this series after book 3 was released and the 4th and final book will be released the day before my birthday (on August 2nd). The Twilight Series of books by Stephenie Meyer. I have to give thanks to a couple of people for the introduction to these books. The first is Kirsten. About a year or so ago she told me about the Twighlight books, about how good they were and that I should read them. However I didn't really jump to reading them although I should have. Then I think my mom mentioned them to me although she had not read them yet she said they were supposed to be good and so she bought them. Then just after Christmas 2007 Mandy talked to me about them and how good she thought they were.
At this point I had just started reading another book so they again got pushed to the back burner with no idea when I would get to reading them since I don't have a ton of time to read (an entirely new subject). When I finished the book I was reading I decided to ask my mom to borrow her book since it would give me something to do the nights that Josh was working after the kids went to bed.
I never dreamed that I would get so involved. It's almost as if I'm a part of the story. It took me a little while to get started on the first book because I got bombarded with stuff going on at about the same time (my grandpas death, hannah being sick, etc.). But when I finally got started I finished it in a couple of days. Then this past Tuesday I went to my mom's and picked up the second book. I was so into it that I finished it by Wednesday evening before the girls went to bed. Now I just have to wait until Monday to get the third book from my mom's.
These books are so well written. It literally leaves me craving for more. I've gone to Stephenie Meyers website and read all of her extra stuff to. I honestly wasn't sure how much I would enjoy a story about Vampires and such. She does such an excellent job writing these stories.
One review states:

As Shakespeare knew, love burns high when thwarted by obstacles. In Twilight, an exquisite fantasy by Stephenie Meyer, readers discover a pair of lovers who are supremely star-crossed. Bella adores beautiful Edward, and he returns her love. But Edward is having a hard time controlling the blood lust she arouses in him, because--he's a vampire. At any moment, the intensity of their passion could drive him to kill her, and he agonizes over the danger. But, Bella would rather be dead than part from Edward, so she risks her life to stay near him, and the novel burns with the erotic tension of their dangerous and necessarily chaste relationship.Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction.

For anyone out there who hasn't read these books. You are missing out. They are truly great choice for fictional reading.

2 comments:

Taylor made said...

I told you, I told you, I told you! When Dave and I would finish reading one of the Harry Potter books we would have it on our brains for a good week after and that is how i felt about the Twilight series. I totally wanted to be a witch in Harry Potter and i want to be a Vampier with Edward. Who by the way is sooooooo much better than Jacob.

Brenda said...

I think it might be official. I am the only person on the planet who didn't like these books. Granted, I only read the first one (which I didn't care for), but when I started the second, and it was more of the same, I gave up.