IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP SOME FORM OF PRIVACY...

We would love you to add our blog as a link on yours, but please just use our first names. Thanks!!

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ear Troubles

Well Hannah still has an infection in both ears. It hasn't cleared up since the beginning of December. Poor girl. We ended up changing pediatricians and everything. We got tired of going in to see her old pediatrician and not really getting any information. So when she still had an infection at the end of December we decided to go see someone else. At this point we had looked in her mouth and her tonsils looked HUGE too. So I talked to the new doctor about it and the girl I met with asked me if her tonsils were usually that big. I told her I didn't really know. And she said that they didn't look infected and that if her tonsils were big then maybe her adnoids were too. And that her adnoids sit around the ear canal and that may be blocking it from draining. All of a sudden things started to make sense to me.
Anyway, they gave her some antibiotics and sent me home. A couple of weeks later I ended up taking her back in because she didn't seem to be getting any better and all of a sudden it looked like her tear ducts were clogged real bad again. So when I met with the doctor this time he said that sometimes ear infections come with an eye infection. And since she had been on antibiotics for a while they decided to give her the shots.
I took her in last week for the follow up on the shots and her ears were still infected so they sent me to see an ENT. Her appointment was today. And we have a surgery scheduled for the 20th to put tubes in her ears and remove her adnoids. The ENT asked us several questions like if she breathed really loud when she slept or if she stopped chewing to take a breath while eating. If she still sleeps with a binky. I told him yes to all and he said that it sounded like she has sleep apnea. Great! He also said that by removing her adnoids it would improve that if not get rid of it all together.
With any luck after that she will get better sleep and won't be as crabby all the time. Hopefully making my life a little bit (not much) easier. We'll see.

1 comment:

Taylor made said...

Bummer! But YEA! that you are going to get it fixed. I was looking on your friend Abbeys blog (instead of picking up my house yet again) and LOVED all the funny little Ben-isms she posted and so i think i am going to do that too. I just thought i would share that with you.